Sunday, July 4, 2010

I'm grateful for Spain...because they discovered America :)


U-S-A!!!

7-4-2010: Sunday

Happy Birthday America! The goal was to spend all day celebrating America. We started by sleeping in. Check, best American pastime ever. Next we went and grabbed some snacks at the local grocery store like salt and vinegar chips and half of a watermelon. How festive! I did also manage to buy some Spanish cookies and a few episodes of Mis Amigos Tigger and Pooh at the supermarket too. Mom and Dad, do you remember when we watched those precious cartoons in Mexico? Well I finally found some episodes on DVD!

Anyways, then a big group of girls headed to the public pool. Check, check. It’s necessary to spend July 4th by the pool or at the lake so that’s exactly what we did. We had a picnic by the pool and spent 4 hours there during the afternoon just swimming, tanning, and jamming to “Party in the USA.” It’s actually quite difficult to eat a half of a watermelon with no utensils. No worries, me and Caitlin made do by scooping out bites with a bottle cap. Courtney helped us out and drank the extra juice for us, haha. It’s amazing how being in another country makes you want to celebrate America. I mean like stand up and sing “Proud to be an American” or cry to “The Star Spangled Banner.” Cheesy stuff like that.

The beautiful (and cold) public pool:


Tonight we’re supporting our white and blue (because all the red clothing we have says “España” on it) and meeting up with the Dean for his surprise birthday party.

Dinner was fried fish, yep I ate fish AGAIN, salad, and soup. Then we had a crazy conversation with our madre about abortion and public vs. private healthcare. It's hard to reason with a European especially when talking about topics for which you don't know the vocab but still feel strongly about. It was interesting to say the least.

For everyone enjoying the Fourth with the fam at the lake, I love you and be grateful for such great company and a great country.

>>God Bless America.

1 comment:

  1. I don't even know what to comment on first. That watermelon looked HILARIOUS! Isn't it hysterical the things you come up with to get by as a traveling college kid? I'm glad you got some water time and watermelon in though. Classic.
    I feel you on the 4th of July thing--I was in French-speaking Montreal for most of the day. And the year before last, I was in Russia! It's odd being away on the 4th. When you get back, we can have an America day if you wanna. I'd totally be down with that.

    I'm so glad you found Spanish pooh! I actually just finished reading the original book by A.A. Milne--it was PRICELESS. I understand why everyone loves Pooh now.

    Glad you had a fun relaxing day! Peace love and happiness!

    ReplyDelete