Sunday, July 4, 2010

Avila- our final excursion!



7-3-2010: Saturday

We woke up early this morning for our excursion to Avila. This is a walled city that is mostly known for their wall, Santa Teresa the catholic reformer, and San Juan de la Cruz a famous mystic poet. The morning was cloudy and rainy but it got warm and sunny as the day went on. My favorite part was walking along the top part of the wall and taking pictures. I also got to eat the famous Yemas which are like small sugary dough balls with a touch of lemon or orange that were pretty good but super sweet. They reminded me a bit of the Puche in Segovia which is not my fave. This was not my favorite excursion in the least but its good that ive been there, done that.


Famous desserts in Avila:

Me and Caitlin with the walled city:

Tonight we ate dinner at the same place in the plaza and had the same precious waiter that always strangely enough gives us a white table cloth and no one else….it’s because we’re special. We found out tonight his name is carlos and he’s from Argentina. We’ll be back in the same place im sure for the next game so we’ll get to know each other better J Me and Courtney both had hamberguesas con huevos this time and it was delicious. We watched the Spain vs. Paraguay partido on the flat screen tv’s set up in the plaza and the last minutes of the game were pretty intense. Villa scored the only goal and the guys behind us started chanting, “Villa, Villa, Maravilla!” David Villa is the star player and my personal fave so I joined them in their chant. Also, when something bad happens, everyone around us would say “la leche…” or “the milk”. I don’t really get it yet. These partidos are really a bonding experience because everyone gathers to cheer on Spain in public places. It unites the country and you end up chatting with strangers about injuries, penalties, and favorite players. I’m so glad we’re here during the world cup!

Afterwards some of the group went out but me, Courtney, Caitlin, and Kimberley opted to walk home and get some coffee and just chat on the way. It was really great to slow down and share some common struggles, frustrations, and laugh about things we’ve experienced while here. I really love these girls and I’m glad my time is spent with them in Spain.

Also, about 120 auburn students arrived yesterday in Salamanca. I have seen 2 people I recognize so far but I’m keeping an eye out for more I might know.

1 comment:

  1. 120 Auburnites? Exciting! I'm glad to see that even the waiters there are starting to realize that you girls deserve to be spoiled sometimes. Good stuff. :D

    ReplyDelete